Taken from Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Applications for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Class can be submitted by foreign nationals who are skilled workers and professionals.


The Federal Skilled Worker program has a new eligibility stream that is open to international students who are pursuing or who have completed doctoral (PhD) studies at Canadian institutions. Please read the instructions for more information.


New forms and an updated Instruction Guide and Document Checklist (IMM 5612) are now available. Applicants should follow the new Instruction Guide when preparing to submit an application

Federal skilled worker applications received by the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) after November 14, 2011 must be prepared using the updated instruction guide and Document Checklist (IMM 5612) or they will be returned as incomplete.

The CIO will continue to accept the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada (IMM0008) until March 31, 2012. After that date, only the new version of the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) will be accepted and all previous versions will be returned to applicants.

Note: As of July 18, 2011, applicants for Permanent Residence are asked to complete the new Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008). Applicants are encouraged to complete the form electronically and validate the information to generate 2D barcodes before printing. To ensure you have the most recent application form, please use the link to the application form.

There are two other programs for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents. They are as follows:

Provincial Nominee; and
Quebec Skilled Workers.
How to use this application package

Read the instruction guide to complete your application forms

Use the new Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]. It can be completed and saved on a computer. You will need Adobe Reader 8.1 or higher.
Filling the form electronically is easier and reduces the risk of errors that can slow down the application process.
Trouble downloading? Right-click on the link and select ‘Save Target As…’

Complete, validate, print, sign and date your application forms

To ensure you submit all the pages:

IMM 0008:

Click on the “Validate” button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing ensures you have answered all the questions and will avoid delays in processing your application.

A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
Print, sign and date the form.
Print on white, bond-quality and non-glossy paper
Use of a laser printer is recommended
Place the barcode page on the top of each individual package.
Other forms:

Use the Document Checklist to make sure you include all the other forms and documents you need.

Pay the fees

Complete the Fee Payment Form – Application for Permanent Residence – Federal Skilled Worker (IMM 5620)

Important: Visa Offices in Abidjan, Accra, Ankara, Caracas, Guatemala, Havana, Moscow, Nairobi, and Vienna offer a different method of payment option for applicants who cannot pay in Canadian Funds. Please refer to these websites for more information concerning fee payments.

Mail your fully completed application to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Taken from the website Immigrants to the United States

Immigrating to the United States to live here permanently is an important and complex decision. In this section, you will learn about who may immigrate to the United States, the different types of immigrant visas, the required forms, and the steps in the immigrant visa process. For information on who may immigrate to the U.S., review Visa Types for Immigrants. Click on the links below for information on visa forms, the Affidavit of Support, other requirements, and related materials for immigrants. In general, to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative(s), U.S. lawful permanent resident, or by a prospective employer, and be the beneficiary of an approved petition. Therefore, a first step is filing a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). For information on this step, visit the USCIS website.
Petitions Required to be Filed in the United States

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent resident sponsors residing in the United States file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the USCIS Chicago Lockbox facility or Phoenix Lockbox facility, following instructions on the USCIS website. U.S. employers file Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker, as instructed on the USCIS website.

Filing Immigrant Petitions Outside of the United States

Some petitions may be filed outside of the United States. Review Filing Immigrant Petitions Outside the United States to learn more.

Immigrant Visa Processing – The National Visa Center (NVC)
After an immigrant petition filed in the United States is approved by USCIS, it is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. NVC plays an important role in the next steps of the immigrant visa process by providing instructions to petitioners, sponsors, and visa applicants; reviewing required Affidavit of Support forms from sponsors; and receiving fees, application forms, and other required documents from visa applicants. For numerically limited family preference petitions, NVC contacts the petitioner once the petition’s priority date is about to become current.

Learn more about the National Visa Center (NVC) and processing at the NVC.

Additional Resources
See Visa Information for Immigrants for more information, including the Visa Bulletin, required vaccinations, DNA testing, and more.

Taken from Working in UK

Working in the UK

This section describes the immigration categories for non-European migrants who want to work in the UK. Each category has different requirements, so you should read the requirements for your chosen category before you apply for a visa.

If you are a UK employer and you want to employ migrant workers, the Business and sponsors section contains more information.

Most of our work-based categories are part of the UK’s points-based system for immigration.

If you want to visit the UK for a short time as a businessperson, sportsperson or entertainer, you may be able to come here as a visitor. The Visiting the UK section contains more information.

If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, the European nationals section explains your right to live and work in the UK.

High-value migrants
Investors, entrepreneurs, exceptionally talented people and recent graduates from UK universities can apply to enter or stay in the UK without needing a job offer – but you will need to pass a points-based assessment.

Skilled Workers

If you have been offered a skilled job in the UK and your prospective employer is willing to sponsor you, you can apply to come or remain here to do that job.

Temporary Workers
If an employer in the UK is willing to sponsor you, or if you are a national of a country that participates in the youth mobility scheme, you may be eligibleto come and work in the UK for a short period.

Other categories
You can also apply to work in the UK as a domestic worker; as the sole representative of an overseas firm; or as a representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation.

For workers and businesspersons from Turkey
Turkish citizens can benefit from a European agreement with Turkey if they want to establish themselves in business in the UK, or if they are already working here legally.

For Commonwealth citizens with UK ancestry
If you are a Commonwealth citizen and at least one of your grandparents was born in the UK, you can apply to come here to work.


Coming to work in Ireland


If you intend to come to work in Ireland you need to know the rules about the formalities involved in travelling to Ireland, the rules about permission to land in Ireland. It would be helpful to know general information about who is entitled to come to Ireland and about living in Ireland before you come here.


Finding a job in Ireland
You may find out about job vacancies in Ireland and how to begin the process of finding a job in Ireland.

Citizens of certain countries need a visa in order to come to Ireland. You may apply for an Irish visa to your nearest Irish embassy or consulate. A visa does not confer any right to live or work in Ireland.

Right to work in Ireland
EU/EEA/Swiss citizens: If you are from an EU member state or one of the countries of the EEA or Switzerland, you are entitled to come to work in Ireland. You do not need an employment permit. You are entitled to have your dependants come to live with you. If you are a spouse or civil partner of an EEA/Swiss national who is exercising the right of free movement, then you have similar rights to work and live in Ireland.

If you are an EEA or Swiss national, you are entitled to be treated in the same way as Irish citizens when you apply for work in Ireland. You are free to apply for any job vacancy, including jobs in the public sector. These include jobs in the Irish army and the Irish police force (An Garda Síochána), but not the Irish diplomatic service.

There is a system of mutual recognition of qualifications between the EEA countries.

Other countries: If you are from another country then generally you need an employment permit – see exceptions below. There are four different types of employment permit: Green Card permit, work permit, intra-company transfer permit, spousal/dependant work permit – see below.

Who does not need an employment permit?
You do not need an employment permit in order to work legally in Ireland if you are in one of the following categories:

Citizens of the EEA member states (other than Romania and Bulgaria) and Switzerland, and their spouses, civil partners and dependants (regardless of their nationality)
People who have been granted refugee status in Ireland
People who have been refused refugee status but have been given leave to remain on humanitarian grounds
People who have been given leave to remain because they are the spouse, civil partner or parent of an Irish citizen
Postgraduate students where the work is an integral part of the course of study being undertaken
From 12 October 2007 non-EEA nationals carrying out scientific research for an approved research organisation
If you are from a country whose nationals normally require an employment permit and you are studying in Ireland on an approved course, you may take up casual work – a maximum of 20 hours a week in term time and full time during the holidays – without an employment permit.

The Third Level Graduate Scheme (pdf) allows non-EEA students who have graduated on or after 1 January 2007 with a level 7 degree to remain in Ireland for 6 months. Those with a degree at levels 8-10 can remain for 12 months. This allows them to find employment and apply for a work permit or Green Card permit.

Working holiday authorisations
Working holiday authorisations may be issued to nationals of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Argentina, Hong Kong and Korea as part of a reciprocal agreement between these countries and Ireland. From 6 June 2006 if you are on a working holiday authorisation you can no longer transfer over to a work permit.

General rules about employment permits
There are general rules which apply to all employment permits. Either the prospective employee or prospective employer may apply for the permit – see ‘How to apply’.

Refusal of employment permit: If you are refused an employment permit, you may ask for an internal review. You should ask for a review within 21 days of being notified of a refusal.

Employers who want to employ people who need employment permits have to meet certain requirements. They must be legally trading in Ireland – this means they must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners and with the Companies Registration Office (CRO) if the employer is a company. You can check the registration at the CRO at: www.cro.ie

The employer must employ you directly – this means that applications from recruitment agencies, agents, intermediaries or companies who intend to outsource or subcontract you to work in another company are not accepted.

There is a limit to the proportion of the workforce who can be employment permit holders. Permits are not granted to employers where a result of granting the permit would be that more than 50% of employees in the firm would be non-EEA nationals.

Employees who have employment permits are obliged to abide by the immigration rules. This means that you may need a visa in order to come here and you must register with the immigration authorities.

Family reunification
Your right to have your family come and live with you in Ireland depends on the type of permit you have. You can find out about the residence rights of family members.

Types of employment permit
Green Card permit: this employment permit is for highly skilled migrant workers. It has replaced the previous working visa/work authorisation system. The previous working visa/authorisations remain valid for the duration covered by them and the people who hold them may renew under the new system.

Green Card permits are granted to 2 groups of people: people with specified skills in a restricted list of occupations in the salary range of €30,000 to €60,000 and people in almost any occupation where the salary range is above €60,000. There are further details in the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation’s Guide to Green Card Permits (pdf).

Work permits: may be issued to foreign nationals who need employment permits for those occupations to which the Green Card permit does not apply and where the salary is €30,000 or more. There are certain occupations for which work permits are not considered. Further details about work permits are in the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation’s Guide to Work Permits (pdf).

Intra-company transfer scheme: this scheme is designed to facilitate the transfer of senior management, key personnel or trainees who are foreign nationals (who need an employment permit) from an overseas branch of a multinational corporation to its Irish branch. There is further information in the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation’s Guide to Intra-Company Transfer Scheme (pdf).

Spousal/dependant work permits: spouses, civil partners and dependants of employment permit holders may be granted a work permit. Further details are in the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation’s Guide to Work Permits for Spouses and Dependants of Employment Permit Holders (pdf).

Protection for migrant workers
Foreign nationals who are legally working in Ireland have exactly the same rights under employment legislation as Irish working here.

The new employment permits are given to the employee. The permit contains a statement of the rights and entitlements of the worker. The statement of rights includes the information about when and how the worker may change employment. The statement also includes details of pay, rights under the national minimum wage legislation and any deductions which it is proposed to make from that pay – for example, for accommodation. The national minimum wage legislation allows for certain deductions to be made from the statutory minimum pay of an employee if the employee is provided with board and/or lodgings.

Employers are not allowed to deduct expenses associated with recruitment from the employee’s pay and are not allowed retain any of the worker’s personal documents.


Green Card: The fee for an initial application is €1,000.

Fees for work permit applications and intra-company transfer:

For a period of up to 6 months €500
For between 6 months and 2 years

How to apply

Applications for work permits or Green Cards can be made by you or your prospective employer to the Employment Permits Section of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation using the new employment permit application form (pdf). There is a separate application form for an intra-company transfer permit (pdf). You should allow two to three months for the application to be processed.

If you are in Ireland and you need English translations of documents you can contact the embassy or consulate of your country for assistance.

Where to apply

Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation
Employment Permits Section
Davitt House
65a Adelaide Road
Dublin 2
Opening Hours:Mon, Wed, Fri 9:30am -12.30pm
Tel: +353 1 417 5333
Locall:1890 201 616
Fax:+353 1 631 3268
Homepage: http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/index.htm
Email: employmentpermits@djei.ie
Page updated: 1 March 2011

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2009-2017 Balikbayan Box All rights reserved.
This site is using the Desk Mess Mirrored theme, v2.5, from BuyNowShop.com.